Friday, March 26, 2010

Field Trip?


When I think field trip, I immediately think Zoo/Rouge River/Cranbrook. Apparently I've been led astray. (Though I guess Country Day trips to DC.Toronto.Disney don't help my case...) Here in Italy, "field trip" takes on a whole new meaning. Yesterday we all skipped Italian class to be led through Florence by our Italian professor to visit two of my favorite places in the city- The Ferragamo Museum and the Officina Profumo Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella. I blogged about my adventures at Ferragamo a few weeks ago, but it was a wonderful treat to skip class and dissolve (once again) into the magical land of wedges, wooden lasts, and Audrey Hepburn.

As for the Farmaceutica, I firmly believe that it is the most aesthetically pleasing place in Florence, behind the Duomo, of course. Bold statment, I know, but when you enter the wooden and glass doors, into the grand foyer of the former Dominican church, you are immediately greeted by the scents of homemade rose, juniper, and amber. The tobacco and rose are my most favorite, and I think I could spend all day there, looking at the ceilings and the intricate wood carvings, and trying every scent in the elegant pharmacy cases. Oh the little (hidden) luxuries of Florence.






No comments:

Post a Comment