Monday, March 22, 2010

Jungfrau & Other Alpine adventures in Interlaken, Switzerland

at the top of Jungfrau.
snow angels and peace&love in black
katie and i en route to jungfrau

Greetings from Florence! I'm back in town after a weekend spent at Walter's Bed & Breakfast in Interlaken, Switzerland. Nestled at the bottom of the Swiss alps between two lakes, Walter's was a great deal with wonderful hospitality and phenomenal food. I cannot say enough good things about Switzerland- the people were so kind and helpful, the chocolate (and resulting hot chocolate) were to die for, and waking up to the snow covered peaks was just surreal.

I find myself constantly saying that things are incredible/wonderful/amazing/coolest thing I've ever seen, but Switzerland was different. While most of the other amazing wonders of Europe have been paintings, Cathedrals, and winding roads in small towns, Switzerland was the first place where I was just in awe of the natural beauty. Nothing man made here... other than the trains... Just pure, surreal, beauty. There's a reason they say that it's the closest thing to heaven, other than the altitude.

On Saturday we skipped skydiving (Mom, you can now breathe out.) in favor of a 3 hour train ride to Jungfrau, the "Top of the Alps". At 4 vertical miles above sea level (11,344 ft!) I felt like I had accomplished my childhood dream of climbing Everest.
Sweet success.



1 comment: