Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I ate my way through Paris, via macaroon

bonjour bonjour bonjour
ooo la la...

Home from Paris, with stories for a lifetime. What a wonderful city! Everything is so magnificent and beautiful, from the people to the boutiques, even the McCafes*. We had a wonderful weekend exploring, and I made it my personal goal to try each of the most famous macaroons in the city. So here it is, the rundown of my macaroon marathon.

#1 Angelina
Rebecca told me to go here for the mont blanc dessert but when the mini boutique appeared on our first day at marie antoinette's personal chateau, I couldn't resist the raspberry and dark chocolate. Very good... but in this land of famous macaroons, only 2 stars of 4.

#2 Pierre Herme
Jessica and I went here on Saturday after I heard that the former Laduree chef had created his own shop. Rebecca, Jessica, and the WallPaper guidebook were all correct. The rose macaroon was to die for, and was even more delicate than Laduree's. 4 of 4.


#3 McCafe
Yup. McDonald's has cafes in Europe and they are beautiful. Plus, with their .90euro cent price tag, they are definitely the budget seeker's option. Their citrus was yummy... but just too chewy. 1 of 4 stars, but still impressed... if only by the fact that you can chance your BigMac with a macaroon...

#4 Laduree
The one. The only. Where one can easy spend half an inheritance (Joelle's words, not mine) on their edible art. (plus half a day in line...) The rose couldn't touch Pierre's but the violet black currant? We had a moment of silence. Everything was delicious, but this flavor was not to be missed (the dark chocolate mint was quite good as well!). The currant gets 4 stars, the rose 3, and the overall Laduree, a perfect 4 as well, thus bringing my marathon of macaroons to a close.





3 days. 4 famous macaroons. Mission accomplished.
tough life.

No comments:

Post a Comment