Friday, March 19, 2010

The Pitti- Costume

On Tuesday I had the incredible opportunity to privately tour the Pitti Costume Institute with their wonderful and elegant director, Cecilia. Special thanks to my program advisor who set up the meeting and tour. In addition to the beautiful collection of over 8,000 pieces from private donors and design houses, the museum also maintains a permanent collection of garments from the quattrocento (14th century) and the Medici family dynasty. Included in the collection are velvets and leather accessories found inside the family tombs (still in tact, even after the bodies turned to dust!).

Between my elementary Italian and Cecelia's near-perfect English, we were able to get on quite well. We stumbled over some fashion vocabulary, but with the help of elaborate hand gestures and allusions to other designers' work, we were able to communicate perfectly. My favorite pieces were from Ferre and Capucci, two designers who I had heard of, but was previously unfamiliar with their couture work. Both showed incredible architectural elements and would win over anyone willing to argue that a gown does not qualify as art. If you happen to visit the Pitti Costume, look out for Ferre's 1989 couture work. The ballet inspired gown looked like the perfect inspiration for Lagerfeld's Spring/Summer 2010 Chanel show...

Now I can't wait to visit the private museum next door, dedicated entirely to Capucci's work! The opportunities here are incredible and I am so lucky to have been able to explore my passion in conjunction with the program. I could not ask for anything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment